[Histonet] use of destained sections in IHC?

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Wed Feb 23 15:58:58 CST 2011

Yes, you can use H&E-stained slides for IHC; however, if your lesion/tumor is negative and there is no internal positive control, then you may be dealing with a false negative result.  Having said that, we have had good luck with the majority of proteins we have tested.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> "Robin Dean" <robin_dean <@t> compbio.com> 2/23/2011 2:43 PM >>>
Hi all,

Is it possible to de-stain H&E stained  paraffin sections and re-use them
for IHC staining??? Does anything special have to be done? Will it only work
for some epitopes/stains? Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? I
am being asked to do this and don't want to waste my time if it won't work.
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have

Thank you,

Robin

Robin R. Dean, Ph.D.

Senior Scientist & Study Director