[Histonet] Section position on slides

Bill B. bill501 <@t> mindspring.com
Wed Feb 16 11:08:07 CST 2011

As a pathologist I have some preferences on how certain tissues are oriented on a slide and work with my histotechs so they can learn my prefs. I also like my slides in certain orientation in the slide tray. EG, for orientation of skin, I like the the dermis at the top when I am looking at the slide. Some other tissues can be so oriented, some cannot. We often put multiple levels on one slide and I would prefer them to be all oriented similarly and in a straight line.

The most annoying thing I see beyond coverslipping the wrong side, is the label covering a part of the specimen. I don't care how close to the edge a section is as long as it is all on the slide and covered by the cover-slip or mounting medium.

I have no idea is these preferences are weird. My point is the answer to you 1st question may depend on your particular pathologists' preferences.

BIll Blank