[Histonet] Section position on slides

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Wed Feb 16 08:59:44 CST 2011

I learned from an old school HT and studied using the Carson book.  In
this book there are several pages on where to put sections.  If you
don't have the Frieda Carson book (or "the bible" as I refer to it), get
it.  A new edition just came out about a year ago.  If you're an ASCP
member I think the price is reduced...
For the most part, just put everything as close to the middle of the
clear glass part of the slide as possible.  This also does well for IHC
automation.  I think most automated machines you can adjust the drop
range too if you want to put the sections on the bottom or top?
Good Luck!

Sarah Goebel, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tanya
Ewing-Finchem
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:09 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Section position on slides

I am trying to put together a training document around microtomy and
sectioning and am finding it hard to find information around the
placement of the actual sections on the slides.  These are the
objectives I am looking to answer.  Is this information found in any
publications?

1)  Tissue / Section Placement:  Are there published guidelines /
documentation on precisely where you should place tissue sections on a
25mm x 75mm glass slide?   Perhaps more importantly, where you should
NOT place tissue (ie. "x" mm from the edge of the glass slide)?

2)  Diagnosable Slide Staining Area:  With automation becoming more
widely used in IHC, are there published guidelines / documentation on
the usable or diagnosable staining area on a 25mm x 75mm glass slide?
For instance, would you define that as the area under a traditional
coverslip?  Would this be defined as the entire slide below the label?
Or is this some distance from all the edges of the slide?  With some
automated systems, it is near impossible to get edge to edge staining.
Is this acceptable?

Thanks for any ideas.