[Histonet] Help with OCT problem

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:34:45 CST 2011

I agree with previous responders to this query, as I've gotten alcohol on
my blocks and since alcohol doesn't freeze real well it makes a sticky mess
with the OCT. The affected OCT can be scraped off with a razor blade.
Hopefully the tissue itself did not come in contact with alcohol prior to
embedding.

Regards,
Merced

--On Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:51 PM -0800 Patrick Laurie
<foreightl <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

> Donna,
> I would also check to make sure that the tissue wasn't held in an
> something with a lot of alcohol, like RNA later.  I found out first
> hand that it doesn't work well.  Good luck
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Reynolds,Donna M
> <dreynold <@t> mdanderson.org> wrote:
>> Has anyone ever experienced OCT blocks that cut like they are soft. I
>> have turned the cyrostat down 10 degrees lower than usual and they are
>> still soft. Really weird part is that I have 20 blocks in this group and
>> some are soft and others are just fine. Tried changing angle, new blade
>> nothing helps. When I finally manage to get a decent section and pick it
>> up on the slide, the OCT around the tissue want even pick up smooth it
>> wrinkles really bad. I tried just a block of OCT that I froze on a chuck
>> and it cut great.  I am clueless as to what is going on. Samples were
>> frozen by someone else and brought to me to be cut. Donna Reynolds Core
>> IHC Lab
>> M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston TX
>> Research lab
>> 713-192-8106.
>>

>> Donna Reynolds Core IHC Lab
>> Dept. Cancer Biology, SRB 1.660
>> 713-792-8106

> --
> Patrick Laurie HT(ASCP)QIHC
> CellNetix Pathology & Laboratories
> 1124 Columbia Street, Suite 200
> Seattle, WA 98104
> plaurie <@t> cellnetix.com

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician III
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.