[Histonet] PAS with Diastase Digestion

Susan.Walzer <@t> HCAHealthcare.com Susan.Walzer <@t> HCAHealthcare.com
Thu Feb 10 02:13:06 CST 2011

Not spit ,saliva and we leave it on for 15/20 minutes and then rinse well. I have had techs who did not like doing it so we bought the enzyme and after all the hassle she found it did not work as well...now we all think about chocolate and salivate. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Erin Sarricks
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:38 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] PAS with Diastase Digestion

Hi Histonet-

I recently ran a PAS/D stain and had some issues with it.  Both "with" and
"without" slides came out looking the same so I'm guessing my digestion step
didn't work!  I used a Malt Diastase solution (0.5g to 500mL water) for my
digestion.  This is the procedure I used:

1.    Deparaffinize and hydrate to water.

2.    Place the sections labeled “with” in diastase solution preheated to
37˚C for 1 hour.  Hold the sections labeled “without” in distilled water.

3.    Wash in running water for 5 minutes

4.    Place all section (with and without) in 0.5% periodic acid solution
for 5 minutes

5.    Wash in 3 changes of distilled water

6.    Place in Schiff reagent for 15 minutes

7.    Wash in lukewarm tap water for 5 minutes (immediately sections turn
dark pink color).

8.    Counterstain in Mayer’s Hematoxylin for 3 minutes.

9.    Wash in tap water for 10 minutes

10.   Dehydrate starting with 95% ETOH, clear, and coverslip.

I am wondering if my solution possibly got too warm in the oven and hindered
the enzyme activity, or is it possible I left it in too long?  Any tips
would be much appreciated!  Oh, and I have about 300 slides to stain, so
spitting on them is my last last last resort!  Haha!  Thanks in advance for
all your help!

Erin Sarricks, HT (ASCP)

Histology Laboratory Technician

USAMRICD Comparative Pathology Branch