[Histonet] TTF-1/background staining

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Thu Feb 3 18:17:27 CST 2011

Hi Paula

I do not believe that RTU Abs really exist.  No company can produce an antibody that is suitable for use by all laboratories taking in to consideration how tissue can be handled differently from lab to lab.  I have used many RTU Abs which I have had to dilute to get optimal staining with Cam 5.2 a good example.  On the Bond I was using it at 1:25.  try titreing your Ab and see if that will reduce/eliminate your background.

regards
Tony

>>> Debra Siena <DSiena <@t> statlab.com> 4/02/2011 8:02 am >>>
Hi Paula,

I am probably reading between the lines here but on your TTF protocol do you use a streptavidin biotin detection system and if so do you block for endogenous biotin, liver will have endogenous biotin where lung may not have as much?  thanks

Debbie Siena HT(ASCP)QIHC
Technical Manager | StatLab Medical Products
Direct: 972-436-1010  x229

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula Lucas
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:38 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] TTF-1/background staining

How can I eliminate the background or as you say, non-specific staining?

I'm no expert here, I admit, and so I'm asking for your help and
suggestions.  I have searched the Histonet archives, and a lot of what I'm
seeing deals with animal or rodent tissues, and a lot of it was confusing to
me.

To give you a little background info:

We use the Lab Vision stainer and the TTF-1 antibody we use is from Cell
Marque.  We were having issues with this marker from Lab Vision, so we
switched to TTF-1 a while ago.  We use the UltraVision LP detection kit from
Lab Vision. It's a polymer driven detection kit.

The antibody is a ready to use, and we have the time set at 30 minutes.

We were getting the background staining on a liver specimen last week, and
we also had this problem today on a lung case.  My doctor is getting
frustrated, and wants me to do something about this, and to repeat the TTF-1
stain on the lung, so if someone can give me some suggestions to try, I'm
ready to try them.

Thanks in advance,

Paula

Lab Manager

Bio-Path Medical Group

Fountain Valley, CA

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email, including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.