[Histonet] Her2 Fixation Requirement

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Thu Feb 3 16:54:25 CST 2011

Does anyone have issues with inking the specimen after it has been placed in formalin?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Weems,
Joyce
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:59 PM
To: Paula Lucas; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Her2 Fixation Requirement

We have the nurse document the time of removal on the requisition. The next requisition update will have a spot for this. They have been very cooperative and do a good job.

In addition, you must document the "cold ischmic time" - that is the time from removal until time in formalin. This is important when the specimen goes for xray or whatever. So there is a removal time, an into formalin time and an out of formalin time.

Then if we don't have time allowed to meet the fixation time with the regular, it is put on a late processor, if we have one available, or it is held overnight. And if it has to come off on Sunday, we have a med tech remove it from the processor and it waits for us to come on Monday to embed it.

The pathologists document all this time in the report.

Best! J

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital