[Histonet] RE: paraffin sections: white with airbubbles

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Feb 2 00:55:48 CST 2011

You can't go from 70% alcohol into paraffin without passing through 100% alcohol and then a clearing agent (liquid miscible with 100% alcohol and with melted wax). Xylene is a commonly used clearing agent. Your times in 50% and 70% alcohol are much longer than necessary. Even for a whale's hypothalamus a few hours in each solvent step should be adequate.

In Belgium you may be able to obtain a great classic of histotechnology: Gabe, M (1968) Techniques histologiques. Masson et Cie, Paris. 1113 pages! This explains tissue processing very thoroughly. The author was an academic zoologist who did all his own lab work and made sure he knew what he was about. Get a copy if you can.

The English translation of Manfred Gabe's book was posthumously published in 1976. I bought one then and learned a lot from it. Like many histotechnology classics, this book is now a prize possession, almost unobtainable on web sites for second-hand books.

'nuff sed.
John Kiernan
UWO
= = =