[Histonet] Shatter effect on specimens

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 10:38:33 CST 2011

Chatter or shatter? Chatter to me is a microtomy problem more so, shatter I would look more to processing and handling... but people use those descriptions to mean both sometimes, but here are my thoughts #1 tissue type considerations - GI Bx and liver Bx especially- I have seen this alot when they get processed all together with other tissues( in a "do everything type of program"). #2- over dehydration, too prolonged or not enough gradation from dilute to absolute ETOH  for certian tissue types( biopsies here) in the tissue processing program espeically those types in #1. #3 sometimes also more problems when rapid processing used with MW or when they had "rapid" processors with acetone  espeically( gone now I think, the original Sakura), but the program just needs to be optimized if that is the case. #4 poor microtomy technique, and/or loose blade holder, block holder (due to rusted, worn out screws, or springs ) especially the little ones in the blade holder, or just not being clamped properly, or the angle can be off- this is the "chatter". Sometimes something is loose or worn, but some people clamp everything super-tight, and this is sometimes trouble too, or can't correct their angles. #5- I guess you would need to figure out what the source is intially to correct. But all could possibly be corrected with program changes to processing, microtome PM, training of microtomist to recognize the artifact on waterbath before it gets to the slide, and get more comfortable/confident with their microtome. At the bench  I can correct the less than ideal processing sometimes when already "crunchy" by somewhat prolonged soaking in icy water before sectioning, and trying to section a little slower than I normally would. Can't help much with EM, not my experience, but I would guess some of the same issues, and/or vibration on the ultramicrotome?Joelle

Joelle Weaver MAOM, (HTL) ASCP

http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelleweaver