[Histonet] Question about Bile Stain Control tissue

Thurby, Christina christina.thurby <@t> bms.com
Tue Dec 20 14:45:02 CST 2011

Hello All,
I have a few questions about Bile Stain control tissue:  First - does anyone have or know of any good sources where I can purchase a couple of positive control blocks demonstrating bile in the tissue?  I have some purchased control slides - but they appear to be from 'bile sludge' prepared to block.  This is a nice emerald green when stained with the Hall's method, but our pathologists would like to see positive bile demonstrated in the tissue elements.  Carson's newest book has a very nice image.

Next question:  Carson's procedure for the Hall's bile stain describes the positive elements as a emerald green to drab olive in color.  We have a case that appears to be positive but the Hall's stain is kind of a camouflage brownish/drab olive green.  Is there a chance we're doing something wrong with this procedure?  Our purchased 'bile sludge' control slides are a nice emerald green.   We also ran the Stein's method - this was completely negative (even on the purchased controls).  Any thoughts and/or feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!
Kristie

Christina Thurby, MLT(ASCP), HT, QIHC
Research Scientist I
Bristol Myers Squibb
812-307-2093

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.