[Histonet] New lab desperation

nike path nikepathlab <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:35:28 CST 2011

Wow--about 60 responses so far, almost all private, off list email. (This
in itself says something?) But lots of great ideas, lots of encouragement,
lots of questions, lots of cynicism and/or skepticism, and lots and lots of
solicitation!!  Should have figured such from you smart science types.

Too many questions from too many folks to answer privately. Just getting
through these emails has been a huge learning experience! The education has
begun. Thanks to all. My background is HISTORY!  No business, no medicine,
no science. I think there is a trust factor between me and two
pathologists, that somehow transcends the doc cynical 'don't trust anyone'
mentality; they seem comfortable that I'm an ignorant outsider from another
world (our ties go way back, long before medicine).  I've got the time (18
months) and likely the funding to get it right.

So, many of you have consulting businesses and some have businesses
specifically for opening labs!  But what is the adventure if you do it all
for me!  I think the setbacks caused by my ignorance will not be
insurmountable and so I am hoping to take the path of the ignorami and
climb haltingly up the mountain (pushing the rock before me....). I do take
issue with some of the advice that to proceed without 'professional
consultants' is foolhardy (see below)..

Thanks for the tips re companies selling used lab equipment. Are there some
companies that stand out above (or below) the others?

The history of innovation is often necessarily done 'outside the box'.  I
envision a lab space without walls or partitions, a wide open space giving
a sense of space though actual square footage may be not great. I'll be
interested to find if local health regulations and/or lab standards or
sanctioning bodies allow for this?

Thanks for the tip re the space required for a cryostat.

Thanks for the tip about being very careful in getting the venting in the
hoods right.

The docs have their UPINs but the signing on to medicare/medicaid/tricare
sounds like it will be an experience. Signing up for many of the third
party payers sounds laborious (the pathologists are relocating from another
state so I assume they have to reapply to all insurance companies?).. The
local business/tax licensing/certifications seem very doable. High
complexity CLIA credentialing also sounds like a challenge (yes, a
pathologist will be medical director). The plan is for routine histology
(routine stainer) and special stains (antibody stainer). And now I know a
bit about embedders/embedding stations and microtomes.

The IT part is quite intimidating. Are there favored software programs for
histology/anatomic pathology labs?

And I can't just take the lab medical waste/garbage and throw it in the
outside dumpster? (Kidding.)

Is JCAHO sufficient or is CAP credentialing mandatory? Is ISO 15189 for
clinical pathology labs only or can histology labs also be credentialed
such? If so, does small size preclude even considering ISO? Or does small
size actually make it easier to get ISO certified?

Most definitely see the need to hire a competent, very well experienced
histotechnologist (with a great sense of adventure!) at the outset, whose
knowledge base and input will be crucial. Thanks for the advice of not
purchasing/leasing any equipment without input from this most valuable
person!  I believe the right person here allows me to proceed without a
professional consultancy service.

Yes, the lab will be in direct competition with others and so local advice
and assistance will likely not be forthcoming!

Thanks again for all your comments.

pf