[Histonet] New lab desperation

nike path nikepathlab <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:28:55 CST 2011

Need help; referred to the list by a lab tech at a nearby hospital.

Been hired by two pathologists (friends of mine) to be office manager of a
new, private anatomic path lab that I am charged to put together. Have no
background in medicine (or science or even managing any office!) but I
guess I'm trustworthy....  This will obviously be a nightmarish adventure
through the school of hard knocks...  Where in heaven's name do I even
begin?  I am to ID and lease a space for a histology lab projected to have
approximately 4 thousand biopsies, 2 histotechnologists, 1 courier, 1
transcriptionist.  And then 'put it together'!

General plan:

Find, lease, remodel physical facility for histo lab with appropriate
venting/hoods/work stations.

City, state, and fed licensing for lab work and billing.

Stainer/appliances/machines vendors and leasing/purchasing

LIS/IT/computer installation

Personnel hiring.

Billing company.

Pathologists are out of the area and really don't have the time to input
daily or even weekly and are counting on me to put this together. Obviously
I'm in way over my head but I've got the time, likely the money, and am in
need of an adventure!  Would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Phillip F.