[Histonet] DAB haematoxylin counterstain; too purple, overpowering IHC

Megan French megan.french <@t> mcri.edu.au
Tue Dec 13 21:46:11 CST 2011

Hi all,

I have been working through an immuno using DAB and counterstaining with
harris haematoxylin.

Protocol for counterstain:

5 min h20

1 dip haematoxylin

1 min h20

2 dips Blue in ammonia

1 min h20

Dehydrate, clear, mount

I am finding that my slides are coming out realllly purple and are
overpowering my DAB staining so much so that I can't even see it!

The haematoxylin is new, it was recently changed. I don't think it has
anything to do with the DAB/quenching etc im pretty sure is is haem
related.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Megan French

Surgical Research; Murdoch Childrens Research Institute

E megan.french <@t> mcri.edu.au