[Histonet] Stain recipe

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Dec 13 16:47:15 CST 2011

This is an instance where you must be careful not to use the wrong dye!

Alcian blue 8G (CI 74240, Ingrain blue 1) should pose no problems. Use a certified batch.

Chlorantine fast red 5B is also called sirius red 4B (CI 28160, Direct red 81). This dye, which has been used as a counterstain for haemalum and alcian blue (L. Lison 1954 Stain Technol. 29:131-138) may be difficult to obtain. Depending on the requirements of your research, you probably could use another red anionic dye, such as eosin Y, instead.

This red dye (CI 28160) is not the same as either chlorantine fast red 6BLL (= sirius supra red 4BLO etc; CI 29065, Direct red 79) or sirius red F3B (= chlorantine fast red 7BLN, pontaminbe fast red 7BNL etc; CI 35780, Direct red 80). CI 35780 is the dye commonly used as a solution in saturated aqueous picric acid, for staining collagen, reticulin and basement membranes and providing greatly enhanved birefringence of the fibres. The Biological Stain Commission recently added sirius red F3B (CI 35780) to its list of dyes for which certification is offered. See http://biostain.com and click on What's New?

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
(Secretary, Biological Stain Commission)
= = =