[Histonet] Histo Aide Duties

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 14:37:24 CST 2011

I guess my first reply was too confusing. It's a confusing subject when your dealing with multiple states to which some are goverened by a requirement for a state license and some are not.

Hopfully this will clear it up or muddy it even more, not sure.

Labs that are accredited and get  reimbursment from CMS have to follow CLIA 88 guidelines.

The Federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regulates all laboratory testing
(except research) performed on patients in the United States through CLIA.8 CLIA provides a
number of important patient protections, such as laboratory personnel standards, proficiency testing
(PT), quality assessment and control requirements, and cytology testing standards.
The level of personnel skill and training required by the CLIA regulations depends on the complexity
level of the testing performed.9 Complexity levels include waived, moderate and high complexity. In
order to perform laboratory testing of waived, moderate or high complexity tests, laboratory
personnel must satisfy minimum standards for the level of testing they perform. The CLIA personnel
qualifications for the three categories of tests are:
• Waived Testing: Standards: None.
• Moderate Complexity Testing: Standards: Minimum requirement is a high school diploma or
equivalent and documented training for the testing performed.10
• High Complexity Testing: Standards: Minimum requirement is an Associate degree,
including 24 semester hours in science, and completion of either: (1) an accredited or
approved clinical laboratory training program, or (2) three months laboratory training in the
specialty(ies) in which the individual performs high complexity testing.11
The personnel

Link for this and more info: http://www.ascp.org/pdf/StateLicensureofLaboratoryPersonnel.aspx

Here's a good article that talks about the 3 levels of complexity: http://www.aad.org/member-tools-and-benefits/practice-management-resources/compliance/clia/clia-faqs

Here's how states that do
not license thier histotechs do it. Tissue embedding, sectioning, and staining in Pathology are considered part of specimen preparation, not a laboratory test, and do not fall under CLIA. Macroscopic (gross) examinations of specimens must be performed by an individual qualified under §493.1449(l)   Note here: IHC and grossing of specimens are HIGH COMPLEXITY TESTING no matter where you are.

https://www.cms.gov/CLIA/downloads/apcindex.pdf   ^^^^^

So since this question was about a CAP approved lab and the reason to do so is to be CLIA compliant to accept GOV payments, you follow CLIA guidelines, and if your state has further guidelines like Florida does, you follow them too.

Is your state a licensure state? Ask that question. If not, then the answer to your question changes.

That's about my entire 40 cents lol

Kim