[Histonet] Cost of 10% NBF

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Thu Dec 1 14:54:26 CST 2011

I agree with Rene'. Many years ago at a previous facility, I was wearing all of my PPE's, including a full-face respirator, gloves, and jumpsuit while making 10% nbf. However, the 37% formalin (which was being pumped in with a hose) splashed on my protective jumpsuit. The incident caused  prolonged respiratory problems. It is not something that should be done in a lab. Buy it ready to use, and in a size that is easy enough for your staff to handle safely.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:03 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; SaraBreeden
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cost of 10% NBF

Regardless of any economic consideration, NBF should NEVER be prepared in the lab.
The exposure of the personnel is too high and dangerous and ought to prevail over costs savings.
Many, many years ago we also prepared our own NBF but abandoned that practice also many many years ago.
Buy the NBF that is prepared under better conditions that any you could try to reproduce in your lab.
René J.