[Histonet] Bar Coding and Sample Tracking

Lyn Stadler LStadler <@t> cbiolabs.com
Wed Aug 31 12:36:06 CDT 2011

Looking for advice/comments/suggestions regarding sample tracking and data management.  I work for a small research institution doing mostly mouse/monkey tissues.  Up until now, we have been tracking samples with an excel spreadsheet, but increasing workload is making this more and more difficult.  We average probably less than 500 blocks per month (very rough estimate).

Basically what I think we need is bar coding for samples and a centralized data storage place so that all the information available for a single sample is in the same place, and can be accessed by anyone anywhere, but not altered (for GLP compliance) as well as capability to expand as our workload varies.

This is my first step in looking into this so any input at all is greatly appreciated!

Lyn Stadler
Histology Technician
Department of Histopathology
Cleveland Biolabs, Inc.
73 High Street
Buffalo, NY 14203

This communication may contain privileged information.  It is intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information.  If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  This communication may contain nonpublic information about individuals and businesses subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.