[Histonet] Re:peggy wenk comments on HT/HTL practical - To stick a Pin

Shirley A. Powell POWELL_SA <@t> mercer.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:10:13 CDT 2011

http://www.naacls.org/docs/Section3_HT.pdf

NAACLS spells it out.  Online Schools should be following the guidelines.  If not they need to rethink their programs if they are approved by NAACLS.

sp

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pam Marcum
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:02 PM
To: Candice Smoots
Cc: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re:peggy wenk comments on HT/HTL practical - To stick a Pin

I have followed this for a while and was wondering why no one is bringing up the lack of Histology Schools and the small number of graduates they can produce per year as an issue.  Online is fine if you have a lab to work in.  However; one of the people no longer at this facility simply did his book work and an HT then offered himself as just that. He never cut a section or did a stain yet he passed so it is possible.

Many of us are training OJTs again due to the lack of available people and the in our case the starting salary is low.  It is said it is because we are not required to complete a BS for an HT only the HTL .  It means we are doing as much as we can to train someone in only one lab with the small amount of time an understaffed Histology Laboratory has yet still have the best training for the field.  We are not recognized fully as Laboratory Professionals yet so it is not really getting any better than it was years ago.  Now we require a 2 year degree for education in science and not much help from the organizations that rule us beyond pay more money.  Many of us are not able to go to meetings ( especially NSH ) due to costs to us personally as the hospitals and Universities are not paying for travel and very little for educational help.

Pam Marcum