[Histonet] Re: gout processing procedure

Patrick Laurie foreightl <@t> gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:25:42 CDT 2011

Processing from 100% alcohol is important, but so is the cutting and
staining.  Don't cut sections and place onto a regular waterbath and expect
all of the crystals to survive.  Some still will, but we cut and place onto
a 100% alcohol bath.  I'll tell you though it can be difficult to get good
sections on an alcohol bath.  Then we stain them using an eosin only
protocol, skipping any aqueous steps (like hematoxylin, bluing, clarifier,
wash steps, etc).  The pathologist looks at them using polarizing filters
looking for birefringence. We tried doing the De Galantha silver method, but
it was too complicated.  Good luck!

--
Patrick Laurie HT(ASCP)QIHC
CellNetix Pathology & Laboratories