[Histonet] MMA

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:44:12 CDT 2011

Reuel,

I would say that you could at least try to use for EM, especially since you already seem to have a polymerized resin block. The biggest issue I would guess would be the overall hardness of your resin block/section so that the section would hold up during the analysis. Also, depending upon the hardness of your block, you may even be able to put your blocks in an oven at 60C for a weekend or so to harden them up even more. It theorized that even though the hardness or softness of a MMA block can be established from the beginning of polymerization (solution concentration of monomer:softner), the block continues to harden over time. I would say subjecting to heat may help to increase this however it may make it more difficult to cut thin sections. In fact, if you let your section roll during microtomy, you may need to adapt to pulling sections flat as the block continues to harden. Hope this makes some sense. Feel free to call me (317-281-1975) if you would like to talk about it over the phone.

Jack