[Histonet] LKB 7800B KnifeMaker

Markus F. Meyenhofer micro <@t> superlink.net
Mon Aug 15 20:59:52 CDT 2011

It is an alignment problem. Also chipping at the scoring line indicates a
too high pressure of the scoring wheel onto the glass (there is a set screw
to loosen the pressure next to the scoring wheel, you have to remove the
head to adjust). I have an instruction sheet with drawings to align the
knife maker.
I can send you a copy.
If you still have a problem after alignment, I can recondition and align,
add a new scoring wheel/pin for a modest charge. Please contact me off line.
Regards,
Markus F. Meyenhofer
Microscopy Labs
Box 338
Red Bank, NJ 07701
732 747 6228

micro <@t> superlink.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "Coughlin, Beth" <coughlin <@t> musc.edu>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 10:54 AM
Subject: [Histonet] LKB 7800B KnifeMaker

Does anyone have some quick tips for adjusting a knife maker, specifically a
LKB?
We have the guide that came with the equipment. However, it's not very clear
(to me) how to adjust the alignment based on what the guide says. It just
seems to be an index of sorts without very much advice on how to realign the
machine.
Basically I'm getting knives, even squares, that are not straight on the
edge. So, I think the scorer isn't lined up right. But, when I get squares
to break, the pins seem to be too far to the edge because there's sometimes
a lot of cracking and chipping that's going on too...
The head histologist in the lab says she fixed it, but if anyone could help
with general tips and/or guidlines for the future, it would be much
appreciated!
Thanks.