[Histonet] Peloris Rapid tissue processor

kiran_g <@t> sbcglobal.net kiran_g <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 14 10:32:27 CDT 2011

Hi

We are currently using Peloris for most of our tissues and its great. Our goal is to move all processing from conventional VIP to Peloris by the end of this year. We validated our own cycle times, not factory installed. The key is size of the tissue and cycle time, if tissues are mixed and cycle time is not sufficient to process, it will cause problems.

Thank you, Rene for bringing some good points especially evaporation step, I would definitely look into that.

 No issues so far and great service!

Kiran
Kaiser Permanente, CA

From: Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Sender: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:19:34
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; <tahseen <@t> brain.net.pk>
Cc: <Histology <@t> skm.org.pk>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Peloris Rapid tissue processor

Muhammad:
The only thing I dislike about the Peloris technology (it is a technology in itself) is that after the dehydration with 2-propanol, the tissues are subjected to a DRY HOT evaporation of the 2-propanol in vacuum before the infiltration step with melted paraffin.
That step  of drying out the tissues to eliminate the 2-propanol to "facilitate" the infiltration is the one I do not like because the tissues are exposed to a very high gradient.
If you end buying the instrument I think you should run a large series of validation tests to find out if the results you obtain with the Peloris compare with what you are used to, not referring to the sectioning quality of the blocks, but to their microscopic appearance..
Peloris was developed in Australia by VisionBioSystems and later bought by Leica Microsystems.
Although there were tests published by VisionBioSystems, all referred to animal tissues, and the instrument was never independently validated. Leica did not make known (published) independent validations.
I for one would never subject the tissues to a hot dry desiccation before infiltration.
I hope this will help you in your decision.
René J.