[Histonet] Sterilized cassette

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Wed Aug 10 07:57:27 CDT 2011

My question is this. Who will open the cassette and dictate the specimen
and what if the specimen does not make it thru processing? Who is
responsible then for it missing?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Brandi
Farris
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:46 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Sterilized cassette

My OR department is wanting a small biopsy cassette that they can
sterilize, be in the sterile field and place small biopsy specimens
directly into a cassette before placing in formalin. We've had a problem
with small biopsies dissolving/disappearing in telfa pads. We can't seem
to find a cassette that the manufacture approves to be sterilized. I
have a sample of a metal biopsy cassette, but the lid closure is
questionable. I'm having trouble thinking "out of the box" on this
problem. I've never had an OR request this before. Any tips would be
greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Brandi
Capital Region Medical Center