[Histonet] paraffin temps

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 08:24:37 CDT 2011

The brand of the paraffin has nothing to do with the melting temperature, which depends on the paraffin polymers it contains.
Each paraffin will have a melting point value in the package and will melt at that temperature. You can use a higher temperature also but not a lower one.
René J.

--- On Wed, 8/3/11, Kolman, Kimberly D. <Kim.Kolman <@t> va.gov> wrote:

From: Kolman, Kimberly D. <Kim.Kolman <@t> va.gov>
Subject: [Histonet] paraffin temps
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, August 3, 2011, 8:57 AM

How do you all handle adjustments in paraffin temps depending on
different brands of paraffins?

Last time I ordered, I received a different brand of Paraplast than my
usual and it is obvious that the temp on the tissue processor needs to
be adjusted up, as the paraffin is collecting in large amounts all over
the top of the cassette basket and is difficult to clean.  To adjust the
temps on the paraffin baths works just fine (as in up to 60 degrees),
which raises the actual paraffin temps up to 62-64 degrees and is then
back to easier melting and cleaning, but the manufacturer packaging
states 'do not heat over 62 degrees'.

I can revise my QC maintenance sheets to alter the temperature ranges so
I am not constantly out of range; however there is the issue of the
packaging....

Can't wait to get all this brand used up; I want my McCormick back!

Kimberly D. Kolman, HT, (ASCP)

Diagnostics 115

VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System

4101 S. 4th St. Trfwy.