[Histonet] RE: Neutralizing Formalin

Anita Buchiane abuchiane <@t> bmhvt.org
Fri Apr 22 08:42:59 CDT 2011

We recycle most of our formalin using the Creative Waste system but if
we have an especially dirty batch (usually from the monthly dumping of
specimens) we neutralize it with "Hyde-Away" (Fisher cat. # 04-355-78)
we pay $269 for a case of 4 gallons (uses 8oz.for each gallon of
formalin).  My lab is in Vermont and as far as I know we comply with the
state regs.

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Smith,
Allen
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 9:14 AM
To: Evans, Andria B
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Neutralizing Formalin

We bought materials for neutralizing formalin and started to use them.
Two years later, the local EPA authorities told us to stop because we
"lacked the competence to neutralize hazardous materials."  Our
neutralizing solution became a "hazardous material."  We now pay a waste
hauler to take our formalin.