[Histonet] RE: Neutralizing Formalin

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Fri Apr 22 08:14:00 CDT 2011

We bought materials for neutralizing formalin and started to use them.  Two years later, the local EPA authorities told us to stop because we "lacked the competence to neutralize hazardous materials."  Our neutralizing solution became a "hazardous material."  We now pay a waste hauler to take our formalin.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Evans, Andria B
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Neutralizing Formalin

Is anyone out there in Histoland Neutralizing their formalin before discarding it down the drain?   We are looking into doing this because of our water authorities and we are finding that it is very costly.   Has anyone found a cost efficient way to do this?  I would need to know what supplier you are purchasing it from and the name of the product.  Thank you in advance!!

Andria B Evans HTL(ASCP)CM
Lancaster General Hospital
555 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA  17604
(717)544-5511 ext: 77329
This email was sent securely from the LGHealth Email Service

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited.