[Histonet] decalcification of articular cartilage

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Thu Apr 21 13:07:17 CDT 2011

You could always get formical which fixes and decals at the same time.  This would eliminate the waiting for fixation.  Although I do usually let it fix in straight formalin overnight first.

Sarah Goebel, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Liz Chlipala
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:59 PM
To: Nejat Yilmaz; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] decalcification of articular cartilage

We do a lot of IHC staining on bone and cartilage samples and we use 10% formic acid for decalcification for immunohistochemistry.  I'm afraid you may not be able to turnaround this in a week.  The tissue needs to be adequately fixed prior to decalcification, and properly decaled.  I would trim the tissue to about 4 mm thick if you can on a saw you might be able to turn this around in  your time frame, but I have learned from experience if you rush decalcification you have a greater chance of running into problems.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592