[Histonet] RE: Biopsy program for Sakura VIP 5/6 Processor

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 18:58:36 CDT 2011

I would consider replacing the sponges. Tony is correct that you need to make sure the air is removed from the sponge to facilitate exchange, but with shortened processing times you will undoubtedly cause carry over from solution to solution. Yuo may want to have a small container of alcoholic formalin with sponges sitting on the gross table.

Try using a nylon tissue bag to funnel filter your small biopsies. all your biopsy sample sizes can be placed into the bag and very tiny samples are retained. Last suggestion is to consider a folded filter paper method (we name it origami, I can provide directly if you want) that uses a quick four fold process w/ forceps at the gross bench to create a pocket for the tiny samples, has a single layer between the tissue/solution and is easy to open at embedding (without "popping" of tissue samples). Avoind the unnecessary carryover of the sponge if you can.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)