[Histonet] RE: Biopsy program for Sakura VIP 5/6 Processor

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Apr 12 18:30:30 CDT 2011

Increase the fixation time and make sure the air is out of the sponges (will stop formalin from getting to the tissue- a quick dunk of the cassette (with sponge and tissue) in alcohol and back into formalin will do the trick).

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Evans, Andria B
Sent: Wednesday, 13 April 2011 4:57 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Biopsy program for Sakura VIP 5/6 Processor

Our lab is currently looking for a way to shorten our Biopsy processing program without compromising the patient specimen.  We do have an issue with our GI's being very dry, which causes us to have to soak between each level taken and also causes a lot of chatter.  Also we have a goal to do a run during the day to improve turn around time.   Here is what our current protocol is....

Formalin    1 min       37degrees
Formalin    15 mins    37degrees
70             14 mins    40 degrees
95             14 mins    40 degrees
95             9 mins      40 degrees
100           9 mins      40 degrees
100           7 mins      40 degrees
100           4 mins      40 degrees
Xylene       23 mins    no heat
Xylene       15 mins    no heat
Paraffin      20 mins   60 degrees
Paraffin      18 mins   60 degrees
Paraffin      10 mins   60 degrees
Paraffin      0 mins     60 degrees

All the steps are set on a fast mix setting.  All of our biopsy specimens are put into sponges.

Andria B Evans HTL(ASCP)CM
Lancaster General Hospital
555 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA  17604
(717)544-5511 ext: 77329
aevans3 <@t> lgheath.org<mailto:aevans3 <@t> lgheath.org>
This email was sent securely from the LGHealth Email Service

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.