[Histonet] Re: Giemsa Stain for frozens

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Apr 4 13:15:54 CDT 2011

Actually, Bob, the method the investigator sent me was the Romanovsky Giemsa
that uses HEPES buffer.  But it requires preparing all the reagents from scratch
and the HEPES alone is several steps. I would like to buy prepared reagents.
Can you buy a Giemsa kit for frozens?

Peggy

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Richmond
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 2:07 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Giemsa Stain for frozens

Peggy Sherwood with the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at the
Massachusetts General Hospital asks:

>>I'm curious what Giemsa stain method people are using for frozen sections? I
have a simple Wright-Giemsa stain that I use for blood smears (using a 1 min.
methanol fix, 30 second stain with Wright-Giemsa, 5 minute in Phosphate buffer
and then rinse in dH20). The investigator sent me a method using a HEPES buffer.
It is involved to make up the working buffer of HEPES.<<

If it LOOKS good, it IS good, as Duke Ellington might have said. In
surgical pathology most people use one of the two-part Romanovsky type
stains - Diff-Quik or any of a number of satisfactory generic
equivalents. This is a very simple stain to do. I would think it would
be publishable, since the stain is well known and easily obtained.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN