[Histonet] gliotic plaques etc

Tyrone Genade tgenade <@t> gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 02:43:25 CDT 2010

Hello,

I'm interested in quantifying gliotic plaques, tangles and amyloid
plaques in 5 um thick wax sections (fixed in Bouins).

I'm planning on using Toluidine Blue for the amyloid and then Gallays
Silver or Thioflavine S for the tangles. Any comments or suggestions?
Any one have any experience with these stains for this purpose?

The gliotic plaques are more confounding. I have seen a slide where
H&E was used and the eosin stained the plaques bright pink-red. Is
this typical? Otherwise, I was thinking about PTAH. Anyone have a
favourite method for this purpose?

I have about 400 slides to go through so an IHC method is out, being
to expensive.

Thanks
--
Tyrone Genade