[Histonet] post-fixation question

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 23 08:35:14 CDT 2010

The longer the tissue sits in paraformaldehyde the more the proteins in the
tissues will become cross-linked due to multiple methylene bridge
formations and could require very rigorous antigen retrieval or may even be
beyond retrieval; the tissues could become brittle as well due to
over-fixation. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Merced

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:39 PM -0600 Salim Yalcin Inan
<syinan <@t> ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a question about post-fixation. As far as I know, for most of the
> immunohistochemistry studies in mouse/rat brain, post-fixation period is
> between 2 hours to 24 hours in 4% paraformaldehyde at +4 Celsius followed
> by cryoprotection with 20-30% sucrose solution. Are there any
> disadvantages to post-fix the tissues for more than 24 hours (2 days-1
> week) for further immunohistochemistry experiments? Thank you very much
> in advance.
>
> Sincerely Yours,
>
> Salim Inan, PhD
>
> HBI, University of Calgary

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician III
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.