[Histonet] Technovit 9100 Destabilizing Basic Solution

Leiferman, Ellen Leiferman <@t> ortho.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 22 14:16:35 CDT 2010

Hello,

Has anyone had success at filtering the Basic Solution of the Technovit 9100 kit?

Our lab is interested in embedding mineralized scaffolds in PMMA.   Since the scaffold is mineralized, decided to go PMMA route although temperature is a concern so we purchased the Technovit 9100 kit.   One of the first steps in kit requires you to destabilize the Basic Solution by passing it through a column of aluminum oxide.   The directions that came with the kit suggested a chromatography column------we used a Sephadex column and loaded with 20 grams of aluminum oxide followed by the addition of Basic Solution.    The gravity flow rate was very slow, probably obtained 10 ml over a few hours of operation.   I noted in one of the papers a research lab used 20 grams aluminum oxide in a 60 cc syringe along with millipore .2 micrometer filter attached.   My thinking was that maybe by being able to push the fluid through the "syringe& filter set-up" it may go faster than plain gravity feed.   I was wrong as this set-up clogged up immediately and I was unable to push anything out.

If anyone has had success at filtering the basic solution and wouldn't mind sharing their technique I would be most appreciative.

Kind Regards,

Ellen Leiferman