[Histonet] Re: Masson's trichrom - problem with nuclei staining

Andrea Marion amario3 <@t> uic.edu
Sat Sep 18 11:34:42 CDT 2010

Hi Itai,

I am thinking that we will purchase a different Weigert's from another
company, or try one of the modified ones that were recommended on the
listserv.

Running tap water only means that you are replacing the water the slides
are sitting in continuously, so that they have a constant supply of fresh
water. This removes any excess stain that may be bleeding from the slide,
and prevents it from recoloring the water, and restaining the tissue.
Essentially it helps pull more excess stain out of the slide. Leaving it
in tap water does not have the same effect, because the dye will reach an
equilibrium point whereby no more will be removed from the tissue. We use
a coplin jar that we stain the slides in, and simply move it to the sink
and let water run into the jar gently. You can achieve the same thing if
you do not have a sink of some sort by constantly dumping out the water
the slides are in, and replacing with clean water. It doesn't require any
special equipment, just a source of running water and whatever container
you normally stain slides in.

Andrea