[Histonet] Autofluorescence problem on atheroma - TUNEL staining

delphine eberle eberledelphine <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:13:21 CDT 2010

Hi,

Autofluorescence in atheroma is a well known problem for immunofluorescence staining.

I would love to hear input about how to reduce it to a minimum (if possible!).

So far, we are trying to detect apoptotic cells in atheroma by TUNEL staining (Roche, TMRred) and we found the interpretation very difficult as some area of the tissue show red dots, tat could be considered as apoptotic bodies. We are working with frozen sections, fixing with Formalin, quenching with Glycine etc...

-I was wondering if acetone fixation (or other fixation methods) could decrease atheroma autofluorescence by extracting lipids and others materials?

-Also, I am not sure that acetone fixation is recommended for TUNEL staining? Did anybody try?

-Are there around any approved ways to decrease autofluorescence in atheroma? (I can not find anything!)

Thanks!

Delphine

Delphine Eberlé PhD
UCSF Department of Vascular Surgery