[Histonet] Trouble shooting decalcified bone sections (paraffin embedded)

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Mon Sep 13 11:23:32 CDT 2010

YiJing,

You could be under- processing the mouse paws.  We extend processing time
for mouse paws during dehydration, clearing and especially infiltration with
paraffin and done with vacuum. Poor paraffin infiltration can really create
shredding problems. There is a simple, cheap way to check endpoint of
decalcification when decalcifying bones.  It is called weight loss/weight
gain method and works for both EDTA and any acid decalcification protocols.
Endpoint determination is important to know when calcium is totally removed
so processing and microtomy problems do not occur.  Bending or "feeling
soft" generally is a poor way to determine total calcium removal as small
calcium deposits are not detectable this way.  X-ray is the most sensitive,
but not everyone has the technology/equipment for that. Chemical endpoint
testing is also simple and easy to do. I doubt the blades are the problem,
but more likely decalcification and processing. I would be happy to send the
weight loss/weight gain and chemical test methods to you.

Using a harder paraffin helps with bone, Tissue Prep 2 (Thermo Scientific
under Fisher Scientific label) is one of several available although other
paraffins should work if infiltration is done properly.

You did not provide a processing schedule for these decalcified mouse paws.
Is this done manually or on an automate processor?  Times in each solution?
Time of paraffin infiltration?

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)