[Histonet] H&E+ Alcian Blue

Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org
Fri Sep 10 12:46:11 CDT 2010

It wont remain turquoise as long as you use the eosin. At least this is my
experience. I have known some Pathologist to read the mucin that way
(purple).

Kim Donadio
Pathology Supervisor
Baptist Hospital
1000 W Moreno St.
Pensacola FL 32501
Phone (850) 469-7718
Fax (850) 434-4996

Deborah Faichney <d.a.faichney <@t> stir.ac.uk>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
09/09/2010 03:44 AM

"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] H&E+ Alcian Blue

Hello all,

I have a request to carry out a combined staining with H&E + Alcian Blue
pH2.5.    I have tried in vain to get this to work but regardless of the
order of staining the end result is dark blue/purple mucin.  I have
carried out a parallel experiment whereby the staining has been checked
microscopically then stopped after each of the dyes.   (Thus giving 3
slides stained with:  AB, AB+H and AB+H+E)  The AB and AB+H are really
nicely stained but as soon as the eosin is added (using 2 different stains
and a variety of times) the mucin staining looks similar to the nuclear
stain.  I am expecting the alcian blue to remain turquoise: should it?

For information, I am trying to stain salmon intestine at 5 microns for
using the following:

Alcian Blue 8GX (certified), pH has been checked
Haematoxylin Z (Cellpath Uk)
1% aq Eosin (Cellpath uk) and lab prepared solution from dye.

Thanks from a frustrated technician!

Debbie Faichney
Histopathology
Institute of Aquaculture
University of Stirling
Scotland
UK

--
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,

All electronic data transmissions originating from or sent to
Baptist Health Care Corporation (BHC) are subject to monitoring.
This message along with any attached data, are the confidential and
proprietary communications of BHC and are intended to be received
only by the individual or individuals to whom the message has been
addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, please take notice that any use, copying, printing,
forwarding or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited and may violate State or Federal Law. If you
have received this transmission in error, please delete or destroy
all copies of this message.  For questions, contact the BHC Privacy
Officer at (850) 434-4472.  Rev.10/07.