FW: [Histonet] Odd question

Morken, Tim Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Thu Sep 9 10:48:05 CDT 2010

This link will take you to the article about legalisms of tissue and blocks:

http://labmed.ascpjournals.org/search?fulltext=tissue+blocks&submit=yes&x=18&y=12

Tim

>>> "Morken, Tim" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org> 9/8/2010 6:49 PM >>>

There was a good article about this topic in Lab Medicine (ASCP) "Who Owns Diagnostic Tissue Blocks?" February 2009, Vol 40, No 2, pf 69-73 (available in pdf format on line at www.ascp.org).

It also addresses wet tissue, other things taken out of people.

The key sentence in that article is: "In practice, there are no specific laws, case law, or prior legal rulings that explicitly address ownership of diagnostic materials."

So, it is left up to individual institutions to develop their own guidelines. Obviously, then, there will be many variations of practice.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA, USA