SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] cryosection for IHC samples

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Sep 5 13:19:43 CDT 2010

It depends on the marker you are using.  Some antibodies require
acetone/ethanol fixation and are not recommended to be used with aldehyde
fixatives.  If you know your marker works with PFA fixative why not fix it
and then process it into paraffin.  I use frozen sections just for tissues
and markers that may not do well with aldehyde fixation and paraffin
processing.

I use fixed tissues that are then infiltrated in 30% sucrose mostly for
tissues that will be difficult to cut, such as calcified bone and then use a
tape transfer sectioning technique.  Since you are working with tumor you
probably do not need to fix and then cyroprotect in sucrose as the unfixed
snap frozen sections should section pretty well directly.  Decide from there
if you need to fix in acetone or PFA (depending on what ab you are using).

Regards,
Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech