[Histonet] Technical Assistant or plain Lab Assistant?

Feher, Stephen sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG
Thu Sep 2 15:35:42 CDT 2010

We created a position for a Pathology Technician.  The duties are
similar to those you mention with the addition of Morgue Diener.  Some
of our Path Techs are CAP qualified to gross small tissue specimens. In
the near future we will be creating tiers to the Path Tech position,
Path Tech I, Path Tech II, etc.  Those qualified to gross in tissue
would be graded higher than those that are not qualified to do so.
Tiers could be geared towards Diener qualifications, hazardous waste
handling qualifications, etc.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cathy.Crumpton <@t> tuality.org
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 3:04 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Technical Assistant or plain Lab Assistant?

   I  need  help from my fellow histotechs.  We are creating a po=ition
   for  a  histology  lab  assistant.   We  need someone to assist the p
athologist  when  grossing  (not grossing themselves), clean machines,
   file,  d=ta entry and accessioning, etc.  We are trying to decide if
   this  posi=tion  should be a Technical Assistant job code or a plain
   Lab  Assistant  code=.   I  wanted  to  know  if  you  have any such
   assistants  in  your  area  and w=at their category was.  If it is a
   technical  assistant,  what  exactly  =makes  the position worth the
   higher  pay  grade?   This  is  difficult  beca=use  there  in not a
   certification  for  a  histology  lab  assistant and they do =ot run
   analyzers or testing machinery.

   Cath= Crumpton HT(ASCP), Histology Lead
   Tuality Community Hospital
   Hillsb=ro, OR 97123