[Histonet] Telepathology for frozen sections

Sharon.Davis-Devine Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com
Wed Oct 27 08:37:28 CDT 2010

We have several surgicenters which our pathologists must travel to perform frozen sections a couple of times a week.  We are looking into a telepathology system in which a PA would travel to the surgicenter, prepare the specimen and transmit the image (live) to the pathologist in their office.  The telepathology system allows the pathologist, using the computer keyboard, to manipulate the slide by moving it around, focusing, making a diagnosis and then communicating that diagnosis to the surgeon in the operating room.

My question to all of you our their in Histoland is:  are any of you out there using a system like this?  And if you do, what CPT do you use to charge for it?  Is this an acceptable standard of care for our patients, remaining in compliance with all of the regulartory agencies out there?

I have heard of telepathology for review and diagnosis of surgical cases but not for frozen section. Any information or advise will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Sharon Davis-Devine, CT (ASCP)
Cytology-Histology  Supervisor
Carle Foundation Hospital
Laboratory and Pathology Services