[Histonet] AFB

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 17 21:02:23 CDT 2010

Hi - Can't find the original question - must have deleted it, so I'll answer
through Cheryl's, if that's OK with her.

If I remember, the question was something like - are there other
microorganisms besides TB that stain with Kinyoun (or something like that).

First, any mycobacterium (acid fast bacteria AFB) will stain with
Ziehl-Neelsen, Kinyoun, Auramine-Rhodamine or Fites (hence anything staining
with these stains is called AFB positive, meaning staining with these AF
stains) . So that means Mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB), Mycobacterium avium
intracellular (found in birds and I've seen it in spleen and bone marrow of
immune suppressed patients), Mycobacterium paratuberculosis (found in
intestine of infected cows and goats, causing something similar to Crone's
disease), and a lot of other Mycobacterium are AFB positive staining with
these procedures.

Mycobacterium leprae (leprosy) is a very thin walled mycobacterium, so needs
the Fites stain with the peanut oil (or any other oil, such as mineral oil)
to coat the leprosy microorganism, so it can withstand decolorization with
aqueous alcohol. But Fites can also be used to demonstrate any of the
Mycobacterium.

These AFB stains will also demonstrate the sulfur clubs of actinomyces, and
the filamentous strands of nocardia are also weakly AFB positive. (Sort of
bacteria with some fungus characteristics.)

Cryptosporidium found in the intestine (causing severe diarrhea) can also
stain AFB positive.

And there are bacterium (mycobacterium or others) in tap water that are AFB
positive, which can adhere to your slides from the flotation bath water, or
from the tap water.  Usually non-pathogenic AFB, but I don't know their
names.

And I'm sure there are other less common bacteria that I've forgotten or
never known about that will stain AFB positive, which are not in the
Mycobacterium genus.

And let's remember that hair follicles, sperm (heads with lipids),
lipofucsin (wear and tear pigment of lipids) also stain AFB positive. And
also Russell bodies (inclusions of antibodies in plasma cells) will stain
AFB positive. And keratin which is dense can simply require longer
differentiation, or else it will retain the red color of the dye.

So, yes, Amy, there are other things that stain positive with Kinyoun that
are not TB/mycobacterium.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073