[Histonet] Optimal processing for prostate needle biopsies

Phyllis Thaxton dchihc <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 09:05:22 CDT 2010

Nilesh,
 This doesn't sound like a staining problem, it sounds like a processing
problem. Try preprocessing for 5 minutes instead of 15 and see if that helps. OR
what we had to do with GI biopsies, we stopped using any preprocessing with
them. After fixation, they are placed in molecular fixative for 10 minutes
before processing.

  If that doesn't work, I would investigate further to where the biopsy was
actually obtained. We had a problem with urologists obtaining the core, then
swishing the needle gun around in a container of saline, then ADDING formalin to
the saline after the biopsy was obtained. The biopsies were horrible.
  Hope this helps.
 Phyllis Thaxton HT(ASCP)QIHC
DCH Regional Medical Center
Tuscaloosa, AL