[Histonet] problems with staining IHC

Clare Thornton CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com
Mon Oct 11 07:11:41 CDT 2010

Yes, we've been having the same problems with Erie slides.  We use Ventana for IHC staining as well.  We've actually met with Erie representatives and they took some of our "bad" lots back with them to test.  They do admit there is a problem, I'm just not sure exactly what that problem is.  We had issues in July/August, then September got much better, but last week we did over 30 repeats due to badly stained slides.  It's frustrating, I know!  We tried some other slides but they seemed to stain worse than the Erie.  We're going to stick with Erie for now and just try to ride out the problems.  At least now, we're very aware and extremely cautious, if something just doesn't look right we repeat it.

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP),QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services
417 State Street, Suite 540
Bangor, ME 04401
cthornton <@t> dahlchase.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 10:22 PM
To: srishan <@t> mail.holyname.org; histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] problems with staining IHC

We and several other sites (in British Columbia and Alberta) that I have
contacted have been experiencing IHC staining problems.  Ours started in
August while others have been seeing this since May.  We have had conference
calls with Ventana about this and they have said that it is a problem with
the SuperFrost Plus slides; the slides seem to be hydrophobic.  The staining
that we are seeing is negative controls/positive patient, positive
control/negative patient as well as variable counterstain.  We have control
tissue on every slide.  From what we have learned from Fisher and Ventana
they are working together with Erie Scientific (manufacturer of the Plus
slides) to find out what is causing the problem.  The slides appear to be
vary from box to box and within each box.  Some lot numbers are worse than
others; our most recent lot number was 062510-9.  I would suggest that you
contact your sale person as well as the platform vendor (if your staining is
automated) so they are aware of how large the problem may be.  We have not
found another slide that is any better than the Plus.  Ventana is working on
an official communication for their clients.  We are very frustrated with
the lack of progress in solving the problem.

As anyone noticed that the Plus slides don't seem to have the same adhesive
properties that they used to?

Cathy Fitzpatrick
Anatomic Pathology Section Head
Kelowna General Hospital