[Histonet] Her2neu testing in gastric cancer

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Tue Nov 30 15:37:00 CST 2010

I don't use Ventana's HER2 antibody, but I can provide you with the following information.  I have tested 9 gastric CAs for HER2 overexpression and only one so far has shown what I would call classic "3+" (Positive) immunoreactivity.  This case also showed HER2 gene amplification by FISH.  One other case that we called "Equivocal" was also "Equivocal" by FISH.  All others have been negative by IHC (and some by FISH).

My good friend (and HER2 expert), Dr. David Hicks, informed me recently that, in his experience, 11% of gastric CAs will show HER2 alterations.  Almost all of the HER2 positive tumors are proximal and show intestinal differentiation.

I would recommend using IHC for screening and then reflex any case with "Equivocal" (2+) or"Positive" (3+) immunoreactivity to FISH until you get enough cases for your validation.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> "Cynthia Robinson" <robinsoc <@t> mercyhealth.com> 11/30/2010 2:30 PM >>>
We have oncologists ordering Her2neu on gastric cases since Herceptin has now been approved for this treatment. Is anyone using Ventana Pathway Her2neu antibody clone for gastric tumor? How did you do validation and what disclaimer are you using?

Thanks for your help.

Cindi Robinson HT(ASCP)
Mercy Medical Center
Dunes Medical Laboratories