[Histonet] Re: Histology Consultant

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 09:31:46 CST 2010

Your situation sounds more like "contract" work instead of "consultation" work. Your have a right to expect and I suggest you must demand a fair hourly rate to compensate for your education, experience, time and effort. You must take into consideration the market hourly rate for the area your work and the degree of difficulty in labs acquiring quality technicians/technologists. In my experience, I believe that $30.00 - $33.00/hr base rate for routine Histology work is not unusual for a contract hire without benefits. I would also suggest that you set a minimum hourly guarantee of 4 hours pay each time you come in to work and negotiate for a shift differential of 10%-15% for working nights.

Remember, you are producing work that the lab or pathologist will be able to charge a minimum of $100.00/case, depending on the CPT code level and not counting the number of special stains or IHC attached to each case. You should have no issue in producing no less than 40 cases in a 4 hour period (embedding, cutting and staining). You must ask for fair compensation and always provide superior quality. Your contribution to the process is essential.

Additionally, if the lab was to hire a contract person from one of the placement services, they would be charged $60.00-$65.00/hr and have to make a set time commitment (typically 1-3 months). You are a known performer to the lab and they have examples of your quality, they do not have that level of knowledge or comfort if they hire an unknown contractor.

You and all of us in our Histotechnology profession, as registered, trained, competent and educated technologists should expect and demand to be fairly compensated as an essential and professional member of the Anatomic Pathology lab process.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)