[Histonet] CHECKING ALCOHOL CONCENTRATIONS

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 08:20:05 CST 2010

Amos:
Bryan's method has 2 problems:
1- It requires a volumetric flask (one that assures a constant volume and it does that because the glass cap has a small hole that allows overflow of excess liquid), and
2- it will tell you the density of the liquid you placed inside the flask but NOT its strength, in this case the amount of water the alcohol contains. That would require a table to compare the density you calculated against that of known alcoholic dilutions.
For the level of accuracy needed in tissue processing, any hydrometer will suffice, and you don't have to shake it, just wipe it dry with a towel.
René J.

--- On Fri, 11/26/10, Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] CHECKING ALCOHOL CONCENTRATIONS
To: "Bryan Llewellyn" <llewllew <@t> shaw.ca>
Cc: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Friday, November 26, 2010, 4:32 PM

Wow Bryan,
    That's pretty slick. Obviously weighing it would do the trick I hadn't
thought of that. I'll have to remember that the next time I mindlessly try to
shake the excess liquid off my hydrometer and have it break in my hands. Gosh
I hated that! That is definitely a great and probably more precise way of
doing it.

Amos