[Histonet] Rusting in Pathology Department

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Mon Nov 22 15:08:59 CST 2010

How about decal solution (acid)?  Do you have open containers at the
microtomes that the histotechs use throughout the day?
Straight acids will cause metal to rust.  We have an acid storage
cabinet that is wood, but the hinges and handles are totally rusted out.

Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:10 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Rusting in Pathology Department

Here is a question I don't believe I ever seen discussed here before.
Does anyone else have significant rusting issues in their Histology
Departments?  Cabinet hinges, metal outlet plates, printers, etc. are
rusting in our department, especially around the microtome areas.
Please let me know if you are having any of these issues, or can think
of any reason for this.  We had a printer in the lab that the whole
interior rusted out.  This is not minor rusting that I could contribute
to water bath  humidity.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical  Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories