[Histonet] Nails

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Nov 21 12:17:18 CST 2010

I have used elmer's glue coated plain slides for years for tissues difficult
to keep on the slides, such as cartilage, bone, nails, etc.  I make a 5%
solution of the glue in dih20 (about 200 mls) and then load racks (24 slots)
with slides and dip them in the glue solution about 10 times then take the
slides out of the racks and line them up around something to airdry, usually
overnight, you can then store the dried slides next to each other back in
slide boxes for future use.  After they are dry I do not think they have a
shelf life as I have used slides that are more than a year old and they
still work, just the quick dip in the waterbath to pick up the section seems
to activate the glue enough to make the sections stick well.  One cautionary
thing to keep in mind is that the glue itself can be bio reactive with
certain IHC protocols as it may have some ridicule Ig in the glue if it is
made from animals.

Regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC