[Histonet] Partially muddy slides

histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Tue Nov 16 11:49:57 CST 2010

Regarding incomplete deparaffinizing:  I did give that some thought, but
wouldn't that affect ALL the slides and not just  hit or miss?  It's
primarily the small biopsies that are being affected, and I would think
those would clear the paraffin much easier than the big specimens?

Just as a troubleshooting step, I will increase the deparaffinzing times in
the stainer.

Jeff, I wondered if the collecting nurse/doctor was possibly placing the
tissue in saline prior to formalin?  A cautery effect... Would that show up
as muddy or more burned/desiccated?

Please keep the ideas coming!

Michelle

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Tobias [mailto:victor <@t> pathology.washington.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:14 PM
To: histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Partially muddy slides

What about incomplete paraffin removal? Without seeing the slides it is
hard to tell.

Victor Tobias
Clinical Applications Analyst
University of Washington Medical Center
Dept of Pathology Room BB220
1959 NE Pacific
Seattle, WA 98195
victor <@t> pathology.washington.edu
206-598-2792
Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use of the
intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or if the
message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose,
reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission.
Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all
copies of the message and any attachments.